Thursday, March 1, 2012

1/2 Way Learning Blog Unit 2

This project for unit 2 has made me realize how I can now apply what I have learned from unit 1. For example, learning about different genres, in particular what exactly genres are. I have learned that genres are not just written down on paper stating a specific topic. They come in many forms such as blogs, diaries, chalk, and even the thing I use most today, Facebook. Now that I know what genres are it makes it easier to set up my project about Facebook groups with my group. Understanding how to break a constraint, such as informal and formal writing on Facebook like on my group project will lead to different reactions among our peers. I learned that language on Facebook is an easy thing to break because the overall idea of breaking a constraint is doing something, a drastic change to a written genre, out of the social norm. I also think that this project so far has helped me understand aspects that I was confused about like even where to start! At first, I didn't know what genre we should use, but then I realized that Facebook would be an easy one to perform an experiment on since almost everyone has one. The hardest part was to actually break a constraint. As an active user of Facebook, I thought about the formation of group invites and how they are usually written. Not so detailed or precise, just stating the info that people want to know about short and simple.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the genre and research project your group is setting up--it shows that you have a good handle on this whole "breaking a constraint" thing. It's funny that writing so "new" already has those pretty established ways that we write in it. Some other things I'm curious about: How did your group go about setting up this research proposal? How did you decide on your genre? The one best tesable, etc.?

    ReplyDelete