Thursday, February 23, 2012

Standard English Questions

1. The author states that someone that speaks Standard English is called a prescriptivist. Which, in general means that there is only a single, correct version of the English language. Standard English is the most formal and accepted way of speaking and writing the language.

2. I think that this way of English became the standard from historical times as a dialect. For example, parents taught young children this English and so on. Compared to today, I also believe that language was more formal through different genres. Such as writing and speaking. As times past, language consistently changes the way it is brought up with society and is now being changed through the more genres we obtain.

3. I believe that students are used to speaking among peers and friends in different dialects of English, as for a different language. For example, I speak fluent Spanish with my close friends in classes that speak Spanish fluently as well. But while associating myself with a professor or reading aloud, I would speak Standard English. Talking with our peers in the classroom is also mostly informal. I know I would not talk to another students very properly, as compared to someone of higher status. I think that technology has something to do with this placement of English in different genres because we are used to seeing informal language, like on Facebook or through texting. As for writing in class, such as papers or emails, Standard English is more appropriate and formal.

4. I think that everyone is a good writer in their own way. People have unique ways of writing that are either similar to others' or different. This is a good thing because someone that is great at writing long research papers, is probably not so good at writing articles. I think one key thing to being a good writer is being organized in their style of writing as well as catching the reader's attention in their work. Grammar should not be looked at because I think that that would take away the entire reason of why someone is reading a piece of work. It becomes a negative aspect while reading it. But, I also believe that great word usage could make a piece of work more visually appealing as well, that could potentially make the writer a better writer, but it shouldn't be the only thing focused on.

5. A bad writer, in my opinion, is someone that is unorganized in their work, uses poor word usage, and writing something that it's obvious they aren't passionate about. I like when the writer can show his/her emotion through text, that gives the reader a positive thought that they'll want to continue reading further.

6. There are plenty of times that I associate myself with people that don't speak "correct" English. They are mostly people my age, although I have heard numerous adults speak incorrectly too. For example, they use slang words in their sentences, have run on sentences, incomplete sentences, and talk as if they are talking through text.

7. I think that students in elementary and secondary schools, in preparation for college, should learn how to construct different writing genres, and how to organize these pieces. For example, learn about the layout of papers, articles, title pages, etc. They should definitely know that there isn't only one type of writing out there. Learn how to construct sentences should be the first thing. They should also learn how to apply these rules to speaking in order to prepare them for interviews and such.

8. In my opinion, everyone has a different view as to what is the correct form of English. I believe that Standard English could be the most formal and the language that is spoken among most people in different situations. But I believe that there are always contrasting ideas as to what is correct and what isn't. So overall, no I do not believe this is the correct English.

No comments:

Post a Comment